There are a few basic commands that are essential for all dogs to learn if you want them to behave nicely around the house and in public- these are SIT, STAY, DROP, COME and HEEL.
From the time a puppy enters your house you can start training.It is much, much easier to teach these basic commands at puppy age rather than teaching and older dog. Puppy preschool is a great place to learn how to teach these basic commands- these are classes run by dog trainers or vets who will give you plenty of advice on raising a healthy pup as well as how to train him with positive reinforcement.
Sit is the most basic command that all dogs should know. It allows you to take control as boss of your dog as well as have him still to examine him, groom him, give tablets etc If your dog sits when told then you have the basics for good manners around people and food.
Most pups master the SIT in a few days because they realised they will be rewarded with a treat. Its a good idea to train before meals so your pup is eager for a snack.
WHAT YOU NEED: 1.A hungry puppy- best before meal time
2. Some treats
3. Quiet room with no distractions
· Attract pups attention with a food treat while he is standing
· Hold treat above his nose and gently lift upwards and backward keeping food in direct contact with nose as puppy tilts his head backwards
· Most pups will naturally move into the sit position
· Say ‘SIT’ as soon as pup starts moving in to position
· Immediately reward with treat and praise
· Repeat 10-12 times a session and always before mealtime
· Once mastered, then start practising with distractions such as people or noises, always rewarding and showering with praise as soon as pup sits.
If you find your pup jumping up for the food, don’t get cross. Just ignore completely and start again. The most important thing is to learn to ignore a pup or dog when they don’t get it right (ie no fuss and no treats!) and really let them know when they get it right with reward and verbal praise..
You can also help out by gently pushing backside down whilst you hold treat over nose with other hand.